17 May 2013

IT'S TIME!

I am so excited, it's time to start the gardens!  I've been chomping at the bit, if you will, since about January.  It's finally time and we're starting with the seeds.  We may even have to put some plants in too, it's a little warmer than I expected soooo....

This spring we I am hoping to plant lettuce, beets, radishes, carrots, snap peas, garlic and celery, possibly a few marigolds for insect control.  Then it's straight into the summer veges, tomatoes, peppers, basil, chives, corn (?), onions, broccoli and dill.  I may even try some green beans and I would really like to get an herb garden started this year.  I've been so wishy-washy about where I want things it's been difficult to commit to one area in particular.

I've also got a very large tire I can plant in, if the cats will stop using it as their own private "rest" area.  I'm thinking succulents, I always forget to water the stinkin thing.  There are so many more ideas I have but I am trying to keep myself at a slower pace.  I'm afraid if I put too much in the ground at one time I'll lose most of it, again.  We could really use some trees around here but the 11 we planted last year didn't seem to take...Yuck. Yuck. Yuck.  I also put in three blueberries and they are not looking like returning either.  I'd really like some fruit trees but I think that's just a bit more than I'm ready for.  Maybe this fall when I have help in the manual labor department.

*Update*

I did it.  I got one raised bed planted, YAY!  I've got asparagus, kale and marigolds planted and I seeded collards, spinach, radishes, carrots, snap peas, chamomile, spearmint, lemon balm, garlic chives, cilantro, parsley, and I don't remember what else.  I'm horrible with labeling and such, I end up with a surprise garden.  I also threw (literally) some seeds into the big tire...poppies, morning glories, sweet peas, and others.  It's just my little "survival of the fittest" flowerbed.  I used some seeds I had from other years, who knows what will happen.

So that's it, for now.  We are expecting thunderstorms for the next several days, bring on the rain.  And the Thunder, I Love Thunder.  Hopefully we'll grow something, whatever.  I just love to get the food out of my own  yard.  I am far from a planning type gardener, it's about the only thing I can be a little "wreck less" with. I guess that's what makes it such a good outlet for me.

What kind of gardener are you?  Do you stay away from all things green?    Are you a graph paper and plotting type?  Or do you go "rogue" like I do?  I'd love to hear from you.

Have a Fabulous Weekend.

~Ash

No comments:

Post a Comment