25 April 2013

Homemade Laundry Detergent



Good Afternoon Everyone.  Today I'm giving out the tweaked recipe I've come up with for powdered laundry detergent.  I started with a simple recipe I found online.  Honestly, I can't pinpoint which blog or website to link or recognize, there are so many with the same things posted.  Anyhoo, it originated with Borax, Washing Soda and Fels Naptha and, has since, expanded a bit through my imagination.  It's super easy and lasts for quite awhile.  Here goes:

1 Cup Borax
1 Cup Washing Soda
2 Cups Grated Fels Naptha
(you could use other laundry bar soaps for this)
1/2 Cup OxiClean
1/2 Cup Kosher Salt

Mix all ingredients together, place in a storage container of your choice and use approximately 2 TBLS per load. I've noticed the OxiClean scoop is just the right size. I have an HE front loader and I have no problems using this, it won't suds up like a regular detergent.  The basic recipe worked fine but since we have super hard water I decided to add the OxiClean and Kosher Salt to help with the whites and light colors, they were getting a little on the dingy side.  A great source of information I've found is here.  There are truly so many more out there!

As for using a fabric softener, I have tried several different things.  I'm not sold on any one in particular so if anyone has a suggestion I would LOVE to hear it!  I do use vinegar for now but I can't seem to combat the static cling...  The website I linked to above has softener suggestions as well.

Anyone else make their own or do their own thing?  Drop me a line and let me know your favored laundry "go to's."  It's kinda odd just how excited I get to try these new DIY recipes around the house...  And I mean EXCITED!  I can't wait to find and share new ideas from the farm...

P.S.  Fels Naptha is awesome as a kitchen DIY liquid soap.  Absolutely NO smells on my hands after cooking, and I use a ton of onions and garlic around here! 

TTFN,

~Ash


No comments:

Post a Comment